Au Pair Program
USAuPair’s program offers a unique opportunity to live in France as an au pair.
Spend six months to one year learning the French language, customs, and culture.
The au pair system in the EU is fairly regulated; there are several laws in place to protect both the au pair and the host family. There are also French laws regarding au pairs and labor laws. Even with these laws, there are terms that need to be negotiated directly with the host family, and these are handled by USAuPair.
- Participants must be at least 18 but younger than 27.
- At least an elementary knowledge of the French language.
- A minimum of 200 hours caring for infants or children who are not relatives is required (e.g. babysitting).
- Willing to get to know the French culture and adjust to new surroundings and host family.
- Mentally and physically healthy.
- Willing to pay round trip airfare to/from France and make all travel arrangements.
- Willing to obtain and pay the French Au Pair Visa in San Francisco before departure. Additional visa instructions are available from USAuPair.
Au pairs in France work 30 hours per week.
- Providing childcare and doing light housework.
- Helping cook or prepare simple meals for children.
- Transporting children to and from school and activities.
- Joining activities and games with the children.
- Attending a French language course for 10 hours a week, acceptance into a language school is required to obtain a visa.
Duties and hours can vary from family to family. Au pairs need to be flexible and willing to integrate with the family.
What You Can Expect
- Room and board provided by host family.
- Private room with furniture.
- At least 1.5 days off per week, and at least 4 free evenings per week.
- A weekly stipend of 85 Euros.
- 2 weeks of paid vacation for the 12 month program, to be taken at a time that is agreed upon with the host family. There is also mandatory 1.5 days off per week.
- Local support from the French representative.
- Medical insurance registered by the French host family.
- Public transportation costs covered by the host family.
- If the family requires driving, almost all cars in France are manual transmission
Junior Program – Homestay
Learn French in a nice and safe place. Our region, Toulon-Hyères and Avignon-Orange are well known for their beaches, water sports, gastronomy, flowers, festivals, and all year round sunshine!
Participants must be between 13 and 18 years old.
- Take part in host family’s everyday life (there is at least one child of similar age in the family).
- Minimum stay of 2 weeks, all year round.
- If staying for 4 weeks, attending school is possible both in public school (free) and private school (with additional cost).
- Only in Toulon-Hyères area: choice of 6 or 10 lessons per week, the student will be given two lessons every day or every other day by a highly qualified French teacher. Each lesson lasts 45 minutes.
What you can expect:
- Full board accommodation with a selected French host family, either alone or with a friend.
- Meet and greet at the nearest main train station.
- 24/7 Rapididiom multilingual assistance (French, English, German, or Spanish).
Junior Program – Summer Residential
Participants must be between 13 and 17 years old.
What you can expect
- Full board accommodation on a campus dormitory of 3 – 4 students.
- 20 lessons (45 minute each) in a group of 15 of mixed nationalities.
- Two afternoons of sailing, 90-minute each.
- Social activities, evening entertainment, games, barbecue party, 24/7 supervision.
- Transportation by private coach from residence to sailing center.
- Return transfer from Nice airport, arrival on Sunday, departure on Saturday.
- No tuition on first Monday and on public holiday.